"It's never to late to be what you might have been"

October 29, 2010

Traditions

I know Halloween brings about mixed emotions / beliefs but, I see it as a time of wonder, nostalgia and memorable moments. Every since I can remember, Dos Palos has had a Halloween parade. For those of you that aren't from Dos Palos, it's a parade that's been going on for years and people young and old line the streets to watch the students, their teachers and their principals walk by. The bands, pommerettes, letter girls and the cheerleaders perform. The combination of everything going on leads to a good time being had by everyone that takes the time to be a part of it. It allows people to see people they haven't seen in a while and smiles and laughter are everywhere. The excitement of the day continues when the students return to their classes to have their class party before going to the Halloween Carnival. Family members and friends are a big part of the day as well.Today when I walked in the parade, I saw so many familiar faces, some of them have known me since I was a kid, some were classmates and others I got to know just by growing up in Dos Palos. I even missed seeing a few familiar faces; some have passed away, moved away and some for whatever reason didn't make it out this year but, I was still reminded of what really stood out for me when I first started taking part in Halloween festivities and continues to stand out: all the smiles, treats, the innocence of childhood and the fact that you can be anything you want to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment