"It's never to late to be what you might have been"

October 8, 2010

Things Remembered

If you're a parent of school age children, you know that one of the first field trips your child takes is to a pumpkin patch. The mazes, the pumpkins, the hayrides,face painting, storybook time, picture taking moments, the country atmosphere, the signs of fall and the smiles and laughter, what a combination. On top of all that, they get their very own pumpkin. The sizes and shapes vary but, they find the pumpkin that seems to call their name. Once they get it home, they are all excited and you tell them how a pumpkin becomes a jack - o - lantern. With excitement in their eyes, they help you draw a face and then you carve it. As they dig out the pulp, they say ewwww and make faces all while smiling. You smile too because you see that it was more than a field trip to the pumpkin patch it was also the basis of family time and an unforgettable memory. Once the jack - o - lantern comes to life, you decide where to put it while the ewwws become ohhs and ahhs and the laughter and smiles continues. For me, my first pumpkin patch moment took place 15 years ago but , I remember it like it was yesterday. I shared it with a dear friend of mine when he talked about taking his son to the pumpkin patch and the anticipation of his son's first field trip which was also to the pumpkin patch, he gave me the honor of carving a pumpkin with him. Tonight, I carved a pumpkin with his son and his cousin's daughter (if you know me, you know that I actually see them as my babies too).The ewws,oohs, ahhs, smiles and laughter were recorded and pictures were taken all while our pumpkin became a jack - o - lantern and together, we created a memory that was a bonus for me. I'll never forget it (hopefully they won't either) and it also took me back in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment