"It's never to late to be what you might have been"

October 24, 2010

Self Censorship

I must admit, I have a lot of random thoughts and a lot of things I would like to say and although I know I'm entitled to my own opinion, I also know that I'm not entitled to express what I'm thinking / feeling at the expense of someone else and their feelings. All thoughts, words and statements are open to interpretation and reflect who we are and how we're feeling. They can also put our character into question. Then there are the things that are simply inappropriate. Our audience needs to be kept in mind. I'm not saying that you need to censor yourself completely but you need to realize there's a way to say what you have to say and that you need to discern what needs to be said and what should be kept to yourself because your words and your language; spoken as well as written, reflect you as an individual. That's why you have to be mindful of the way you express yourself and remember, not everything needs to be / should be said.

1 comment:

  1. Agree COMPLETELY. People always fall back on "but I'm entitled to my opinion!" Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, you are not entitled to share it. Some things need to be kept to ourselves.

    ReplyDelete